Over the past twenty-six years, the Robert Campbell Monterey County High School Poetry Awards have inspired hundreds of students to discover classic and contemporary poetry. The program provides students with an opportunity to master public speaking skills and build self-confidence as they learn the craft of poetry.
A reading and awards ceremony honoring the student poets will be held 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 2nd, at the Monterey Public Library, 625 Pacific Street, Monterey. During the ceremony, a certificate of merit, cash award, books of poetry and Cherry Center-published anthology celebrating the students’ work will be presented. The event is open to the public and free of charge.
The Robert Campbell Monterey County High School Poetry Awards are held each year in conjunction with Thinking Out Loud, the Carl Cherry Center’s annual high school art exhibition.
Students: Get Creative!
The world around you is a place of endless fascination and fun. Through classroom workshops, the Robert Campbell Monterey County High School Poetry Awards will inspire you to explore your neighborhood, parks, schoolyard, backyard and wild spaces to initiate and promote a poetic connection between place and imagination, landscape and language. For more information, please call (831) 624-7491.
1. Submissions must be original poetry in English, Spanish, or a combination of both.
2. The author must be presently enrolled in a Monterey County high school.
3. No more than three poems allowed per author, and no poem may be more than 40 lines in length.
4. There are no restrictions as to content, style, form or metrical device.
5. All entries must be typed. Student’s name, address and phone number must be printed on each poem. Poets should also retain a copy of their poem.
Please send entries to Carl Cherry Center for the Arts, P.O. Box 863, Carmel, CA 93921 or online to email@example.com. All entries must be postmarked no later than April 1, 2020.
This program is made possible, in part, through grants from the Arts Council for Monterey County and through funding from the Monterey County Board of Supervisors, Community Foundation for Monterey County, Monterey Peninsula Foundation, Carmel-by-the Sea Rotary, Nancy Buck Ransom Foundation, Pebble Beach Company Foundation, Hazen Family Foundation, Volunteer Services for Monterey County and the Yellow Brick Road Benefit Store.