The Carl Cherry Center for the Arts is pleased to announce the 2021 Robert Campbell Monterey County High School Poetry Awards. The program was established to recognize and promote excellence in high school poets and develop an interest in creative expression through the written word.
Over the past twenty-seven years, the awards have inspired hundreds of students to discover classic and contemporary poetry. The awards program provides students an opportunity to master public speaking skills and build self-confidence as they learn the craft of poetry.
An online reading and awards ceremony honoring the student poets will be held on Zoom 2:00 pm on Saturday, May 1, 2021. During the ceremony, student poets will be invited to read their award-winning poems to fellow students, teachers, family and friends.
The awards program is open to all Monterey County high school students. For more information, please call (831) 624-7491 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Robert Campbell Monterey County High School Poetry Awards are held each year in conjunction with Thinking Out Loud, the Carl Cherry Center’s annual high school art exhibition.
Thinking Out Loud is made possible, in part, through a grant from the Arts Council for Monterey County, and funds from the Monterey County Board of Supervisors, Carmel-by-the-Sea Rotary, Nancy Buck Ransom Foundation, Pebble Beach Company Foundation, and the Yellow Brick Road Benefit Store.
1. Submissions must be original poetry in English, Spanish, or a combination of both.
2. The author must be presently enrolled in a Monterey County high school.
3. No more than three poems allowed per author, and no poem may be more than 40 lines in length.
4. There are no restrictions as to content, style, form or metrical device.
5. All entries must be typed. Student’s name, address, phone number, school and name of English teacher must be printed on each poem. Poets should also retain a copy of their poem.
Please send entries to email@example.com or mail to: Carl Cherry Center for the Arts, P.O. Box 863, Carmel, CA 93921
All entries must be emailed or postmarked no later than Monday, March 29, 2021.
Pictured: “Daydream” – VIktor Klinger